Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mugen Reviews Key



It has been brought to my attention that there has been question as to how I gauge and value mugen characters. I want to make it clear that my reviews are not objective or scientific and anyone may feel free to give their own opinions and viewpoints (that's what comments are for, right?). I want others to try out these characters and have fun with them. I want to know what others think, also. I also want to make it clear that anyone who spends time creating a mugen character deserves respect and honor. It's not easy. And we appreciate your hard work! I program software for a living....it can be a thankless job. I'd like to take a moment and say "Thank You!" to all of you. Now on to how I score mugen characters on this blog.

1. Fun Factor - This is totally subjective and in no way scientific. It's on a scale of 1 to 10. The lower the score means that I do not want to choose to take this character into a battle. A high score means that I enjoy fighting with this character and that I have a great time whenever I use it because of how it is animated, plays, and easy for me to get into and use.
2. AI - "Artificial Intelligence" is a measurement on a scale of 1 to 10 of how well the character fights other characters under computer control. Typically, the AI level is set to level 4. I tend to give a higher score to how tough it is to beat the character. Does the character win fights more often than looses. All bets are off against a human controlled character because typically a human controlled character is going to be harder for the computer to loose.
3. Looks - This is how much I like how a character looks. Do I like the way it is drawn and animated? It is highly subjective and based solely on my tastes which is not judged on a technical level such as frame rate and such. The higher the score, the better I like it. A high score does not mean that a character is created "better" than another.

I like the format of using a table to hold the score because you can just look at the table in a glance and see a lot of information at once. However, I do not want to make the table too wide so I chose criteria that I think lay people would find the most useful. I want my blog to be accesible to all no matter their technical background.

I have written this post to better explain where I am coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment