Saturday, March 14, 2009

WIP Focus: Dr. Strange by Spooky77

Once again Volzzilla has shared another interview with us to enjoy. This time he communicated with Spooky concerning his Dr Strange WIP that we all can't wait to try out. Volzzilla's comments are in bold. Followed by Spooky's responses.

In a recent poll about characters the community wished were MUGENized, Dr. Strange won on the Marvel side. I recently had a chance to speak with Spooky77 about his WIP.

1) So how did you decide upon bringing Dr. Strange to MUGEN?

Dr. Strange is one of my top 5 favorite comic characters of all time. When I first got into MUGEN and saw that he had not been created or was even being worked on, I figured I should at least attempt a single sprite edit. Which led to my first (albeit crappy lol) sprite edit...


Some time passed and as my skill increased, I thought I should take another shot at a new Dr. Strange. aPoCAlyPsE posted some sprites I really liked of the Strange Doctor in a thread on Infinity Mugen Team Forum for the first edit I did. Those combined with help and suggestions from Acey and ALEXZIQ and a lot of work by me produced, the WIP you see today.



2) Please share your thoughts about his general comic back history and about the character in general.

I think Dr. Strange is one of the best characters Marvel ever created, and that is why he is still around today. Everything from his back-story, to his powers, and even the fact that he is an arrogant a$ makes him interesting to a lot of readers. He has changed since his debut and I really like him in the New Avengers story line. I still find myself going back and reading the Steve Ditko era issues though as they really defined the character. I look forward to seeing how the whole "losing his title" thing plays out in the next few months in New Avengers too.

3) So tell the readers what bases you are using for the character and for the various moves themselves.

Mainly Captain Marvel (by Acey & eSkRo) and Urien/Gill...very little Magneto as he is over used as a base for flying characters with capes.

4) How is the progress going on Dr. Strange?

I am getting very close to putting together his first video so that is all I’m going to say right now, lol.



5) What has stood out the most during the creation process in a positive manner? What has been giving you the most trouble?

Spriting hasn’t been too hard so far. The most difficult thing with him would have to be the magical attacks, as that is all scratch work. The second hardest thing spriting wise would probably be the logo on his chest. It's rather complex so if I hurry it looks like crap, LOL. Acey did a fantastic job on the base head for Dr Strange so that has been something to keep up with for sure. I love spriting this character so overall I've really enjoyed myself.

6) Since obviously his special moves and hypers will be magic based, tell us what you have planned in those regards.

For everybody that has kept up with the New Avengers story line, the issue where The Hood and his goons bust into the Sanctum Sanctorum and Dr. Strange has to call on dark magic is the only confirmed hyper right now. Like you said, most specials and hypers WILL be magic based, since he is the Sorcerer Supreme after all. I can promise all of you, as far as specials and hypers go, with my Dr. Strange, you will not be disappointed. Just wait for the upcoming video.


7) Do you have any special plans in regards to intros/exits with Shuma Gorath or any other characters?

Something with Shuma Gorath and Blackheart is in the works. One of them may even pop up in an intro...you will just have to wait and see.

8) Is there anything else about the character that we have not covered that you would like to share?

I'm doing my best to make Dr. Strange as unique a Mugen fighter as he is a comic character. He will include sweet specials and hypers, unique intros involving classic Marvel and Dr.Strange characters, and superb playability courtesy of the Eternity Of Heroes template.

9) So what are your general thoughts on beta releases? Can you give a possible timetable on a beta to release and/or a goal for the full release?

I hope to have a solid beta out in the fall. I’m thinking I can finish him up 100% by years end. I am taking my time with Dr Strange though as I want you guys to have the best one possible. I love working on this character so you never know...betas can move up ;)

Looking forward to him already. And you can keep track of Spook77’s WIP by going to:

http://www.infinitymugenteam.com/Forum_345/index.php?topic=20029.0


To read more about the character in general, take the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Strange

http://marvel.com/universe/Doctor_Strange

1 comment:

  1. Were are this char???
    I want him too much a long time...
    I'm Brasilian.

    ReplyDelete