Friday, March 20, 2009

WIP Focus: Supergirl by Shidokk and Kojunho


Volzzilla has had the opportunity to interview Shiddock about his upcoming Supergirl character he is collaborating with Kojunho. Volzzilla's comments and questions are bolded and Shidokk's responses are unbolded.

1) So how did you decide upon bringing Supergirl to MUGEN?

Turner's art, and Loeb's writing first sold me on Supergirl when I initially checked her out in the comics long ago. And after being away from MUGEN after a long hiatus and then returning, I discovered that the cast of DC characters had grown substantially, and I felt confident enough in my own artistic skills to try my hand at a work in progress. Most of the other characters that I wanted to see were already in progress, or had been made, and I wanted to do something no one else was working on. I like strong but pretty and feminine characters, so it honestly came down to a coin toss between Kara and Laura (X-23).

2) I’d like to see X-23, but glad the coin toss went the way it did. Can you share with us your thoughts about her general comic back history and about the character in general?

I was first exposed to the golden age Supergirl. This was mainly because my parents were nurturing in my nerdly ways. I was perplexed the first time I encountered a Supergirl that wasn't created by Jimmy Olsen making a wish on a totem stick.

I took a long break from comics for other pursuits, and when I returned, I'd missed the entire first Crisis. In this way, I was spared the "comet the super horse" storyline, which outside of these comments, I will deny the existence of.

When Kara was brought back, I liked the idea of an impulsive Kryptonian. Superman is highly controlled, and is more than a little bit of a bumpkin. I like the idea of a super powered being that goes clubbing. Also, she frequently has an attitude that I can relate to, doing what she can to get what she wants, even if that's outside of the norm.


3) So tell the readers what bases you are using for the character and for the various moves themselves.

In the first draft, Rogue was used. Upon revision, I came to the conclusion that Rogue is much more voluptuous than the character I had in mind. Besides this, I took a look at what I'd done, and hated it.

The second draft of Supergirl is based mostly on Sakura and Karin. They have the correct height and posture, not to mention similar enough costumes to give a good set of motions. We may see some Cammy and Lilith as moves and poses come up on the priority list.

4) How is the progress going on Supergirl?

Spriting is coming along slowly. I tend to do huge amounts in short periods of time, and then have to take a break to let my creative juices recharge. Presently, she is coming close to ready for ragdoll testing. A video will be posted when this is ready.

5) What has stood out the most during the creation process in a positive manner? What has been giving you the most trouble?

Positive? If nothing else, working on a project like this is meditative. I do most of my best thinking when I'm sorting pixels and counting frames. I have a fairly developed case of ADD, and something about the math involved in spriting and animating helps me to slow down and get a good perspective on things.

Trouble? Ragdoll, no question! Drawing a character getting hit is not fun after the 12th frame. Especially when you have an elevated view of them in your head. You want them to be all-powerful and they become your creation that would want to see out there kicking ass and taking names. Drawing them taking a beating gnaws at you because you secretly don't want the frames to ever see the screen.


6) Please tell the readers about all the special and hyper moves you have planned.

We're (Kojunho and I are) trying to incorporate as much of the trademarked superpowers into the moves without them becoming cheezy or hackneyed. Flight will be somewhat restricted, as floating characters upset game balance a bit (not to say that she won't fly, mind you, but we're not making a floating character). Speed will be utilized in much the same way as Makoto from Street Fighter 3. Heat vision will be used for her zoning attack, obviously.

I gave some thought to Kryptonian invulnerability, and decided that the best way to handle this would be with a parry-heavy AI, and possibly some parry frames accompanying certain moves (like the focus attacks in Street Fighter 4). As far as hyper moves, there are three that we have rough ideas of. Code names are as follows: "Nutcracker" "Around the world" and "Burning Krypton" I'll let you guess at the rest.

7) Sounds like you two have thought those through a good bit. Do you have any special plans in regards to intros/exits with Superman or any other characters?

I'd really like a Supergirl on Supergirl intro that involves Lex. Black Krytonite makes the evil Kara (already an alternate pallet) who punts Lex off-screen. No frames are done as yet, but that's one I'd really like. Superman and Wonder Woman will get some treatment in this way.

8) Is there anything else about the character that we have not covered that you would like to share?

Code is something I am not good at…and by not good at, I mean that I do not even remotely know the MUGEN engine's language. We aren't to a point where we need one, but it's something that I need to start thinking about.

9) Sounds like a great character, so I am sure coding opportunities will present themselves. Besides this, can you give a possible timetable on a beta to release and/or a goal for the full release?

I can't even guess at a full release. Coding is still on the horizon, and I'm just now finishing basic ragdoll. I'm playing things a little close to the chest. There will likely be a closed beta and a few YouTube videos before the final release.

Looking forward to those videos already. And you can keep track of their WIP by going to:

http://www.scruffydragon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5863

To read more about the character in general, take the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergirl

http://www.comicvine.com/supergirl/29-2351/

No comments:

Post a Comment